We are now seeking a new Chair for our board of trustees to see us through the period beyond COP26.
The appointment will be for 3 years in the first instance, with an expectation that the successful candidate will shadow the current Chair for six months (from June 2021 until December 2021) as SCCS engages in a range of activities to support civil society movements in Scotland and beyond to make the most of COP26 when it is held in Glasgow in November 2021.
To perform this role, you’ll need a rather special set of qualities. Chief amongst them is an informed passion and energy for the action needed to tackle the climate emergency. Beyond this, SCCS is a member-led coalition and as such requires cooperation and consensus building from all involved but particularly from its Chair. In addition, we are looking for a Chair who will:
- Oversee the strategic direction and governance of SCCS;
- Manage SCCS’s Coalition Manager and assist in managing wider Board and Coalition relationships;
- Chair SCCS board meetings (six a year) and work with the Coalition Manager to develop agendas and board papers;
- Act as an SCCS spokesperson for the media and at external events;
- Liaise with member organisations to ensure their views are acknowledged and represented;
- Attend meetings with the Scottish Government, MSPs and other external bodies.
The successful candidate for the Chair of SCCS should be able to demonstrate the following skills and experience:
- Successfully led the strategic direction of an organisation (in a paid or voluntary position);
- Management of senior staff;
- Ability to chair meetings in a fair and impartial way;
- Strong communication, negotiation and interpersonal skills, including public speaking;
- Understanding of climate change policy in Scotland and beyond, and its links to wider policy areas;
- Commitment to equal opportunities;
- Strong analytical, administration and organisational skills.
The successful candidate should be willing to work on SCCS related work for a minimum of 3-4 days a month, of which at least two days should be during the normal working week to accommodate board and other meetings. SCCS is committed to equality and diversity and we encourage applications from anyone who meets the above criteria, but particularly welcome applications from those who are currently under represented in chair or board roles.
We are open to this role being worked as a job share between two co-chairs
If you want to join us in leading the fight to combat climate change as Chair of SCCS, please send your current CV together with a covering letter to
email@example.com by midday Monday 7th June.
If you would like to discuss the roles of Chair in more detail, please email Becky
Kenton-Lake, SCCS Coalition Coordinator, at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: midday Monday 7th June
Interview dates: w/c 14th June & w/c 21st June (TBC)